Prithviraj claimed that he has been facing problems with the bike since the first month. He had bought the bike in January this year. The incident happened on a day when he went to Gudiyatham RTO as the company had paid the registration fee there instead of his hometown Ambur. On his way back, the battery ran out as he was stranded in the afternoon.
Prithviraj said he requested the company to leave the vehicle there to pick him up, but added that they needed to wait for him and that he could only send a technician till 5 pm.
Has anyone seen @OlaElectric @bhash in twitter and not finding any update and marketing ad from OOOOO since 2 days… https://t.co/t0yb1akTE9
— Prithvi Raj (@PrithvR) 1651132807000
He said that he asked his assistant to buy two liters of petrol, which he put on the e-bike and set it on fire. Prithviraj posted the video on his Twitter account.
Prithviraj claimed that minutes after posting the video, he got a call from the company. “A few minutes after I shared the video, a service engineer called me and requested me not to give any interviews to the media and promised to replace the e-bike. I clearly told them that as soon as I was with their company. I lost my relationship with him. Bike was burnt. But he said that a team has already left for his clinic in Ambur with a new e-bike and promised to deliver the bike tonight.” Prithviraj,