The ECB announced on Monday that he had then tested positive for Covid-19 later in the day. While there is no longer a government-mandated isolation period in the UK, the ECB has told players that they must withdraw from games if they test positive and Robinson has been isolating.
“With respect to the lower back symptoms which prevented him playing in the four-day tour match for the FCC Select XI against the New Zealand tourists at Chelmsford last week, he will be assessed after his isolation period later this week,” an ECB statement said. “Further information will be confirmed in due course.”
Robinson, 28, has taken 39 wickets at 21.28 in his nine Tests since making his debut against New Zealand at Lord’s last year but his career is at a crossroads, with off-field issues and fitness concerns a constant backdrop to his impressive on-field performances.
He travelled to the Caribbean for England’s series against West Indies in March where he was due to lead the attack with Chris Woakes but did not play a game in the series after an recurrence of his back spasms and his involvement in the County Championship this season has been minimal for a number of reasons, including a tooth infection and a bout of food poisoning.
Robinson was omitted from England’s squad for the first two Tests of their three-match series against New Zealand, which starts at Lord’s on Thursday, and his latest setback means he will have scant opportunity to prove his fitness before the third Test at Headingley on June 23: Sussex’s only Championship match before then is against Glamorgan on June 12 and he is not an automatic selection in their T20 side.